Earlier today, you may have heard the Girls Around Town talking about the latest episode of GBBO and celebrating National Cupcake Week (which runs from Monday 19 to Sunday 25 September) by sampling June’s Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Avocado Frosting.
Admittedly baking isn’t exactly her forte but they did get the thumbs up from Sue – although it has to be said they didn’t look quite like the one above!
Here’s the recipe so, if you fancy a Chocolate Moment with a bit of a twist, why not print it off and give it a go?
Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Avocado Frosting
For the cupcakes
- 110g butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 free range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g self raising flour
- 1-2 tbsp milk
For the frosting
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3-5 tbsp maple syrup (adjust quantity to suit your taste for sweetness!)
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp softened raw coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale. Beat in the eggs a little at a time and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding a little milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- Blend all of the frosting ingredients in a food processor until the mixture is creamy, glossy and completely combined.
- Spoon the frosting into a piping bag with a star nozzle and, using a spiralling motion, pipe onto the cupcakes in a large swirl. You’ll have more than enough to frost the 12 cupcakes from the ingredients above – halve the quantities if you like or just keep what’s left in the fridge in a jar or covered tub to spread on other cakes or biscuits!