The first of three recipes featured on Girls Around Town this morning – guest Lisa Holloway serves it as the starter of her warming winter menu but it’s almost a meal so just as good for lunch or a light supper too!
Celeriac Soup with Leek and Cheese Toasties
- Olive oil
- 4 sliced leeks
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 large celeriac, peeled and chopped into fairly small pieces
- 2 medium or large potatoes, peeled and chopped into smallish cubes
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 500ml milk (preferably whole)
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Dijon mustard
- 100g Gruyere cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a wide, deep pan with a lid, add the leeks and cook gently until soft, about 10-12 minutes. Remove the leeks and set aside. Then add the garlic to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the celeriac, potatoes, stock and milk to the pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until soft and tender. Season well with salt and pepper, then blend in a food processor or with a stick blender.
- Heat the grill to high. Toast the 4 slices of sourdough in a toaster and spread with Dijon mustard, divide the leeks onto the slices of toast and cover with the grated cheese.
- Put under the grill until bubbling and golden.
- Serve the toasts with the soup, as a wonderful winter starter or a warming lunch or light supper.