The first of three recipes featured on Girls Around Town this morning – guest Lisa Holloway serves it as the starter of her warming winter menu but it’s almost a meal so just as good for lunch or a light supper too!
Want the recipes for the other two courses in Lisa’s menu? Just follow these links to her Winter Venison and Beef Stew and Warm Ginger and Plum Cake…
Celeriac Soup with Leek and Cheese Toasties
- Olive oil
- 4 sliced leeks
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 large celeriac, peeled and chopped into fairly small pieces
- 2 medium or large potatoes, peeled and chopped into smallish cubes
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 500ml milk (preferably whole)
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Dijon mustard
- 100g Gruyere cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a wide, deep pan with a lid, add the leeks and cook gently until soft, about 10-12 minutes. Remove the leeks and set aside. Then add the garlic to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the celeriac, potatoes, stock and milk to the pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until soft and tender. Season well with salt and pepper, then blend in a food processor or with a stick blender.
- Heat the grill to high. Toast the 4 slices of sourdough in a toaster and spread with Dijon mustard, divide the leeks onto the slices of toast and cover with the grated cheese.
- Put under the grill until bubbling and golden.
- Serve the toasts with the soup, as a wonderful winter starter or a warming lunch or light supper.