If you were listening to this morning’s show, you’ll have heard Sue Jackson sharing another recipe, this one perfectly timed for a teatime treat on Easter Sunday…
As promised, here it is – her Lemon Drizzle Simnel Traybake, which takes an ‘ordinary’ lemon drizzle cake to a whole new level of lusciousness with the addition of a layer of marzipan.
Lemon Drizzle Simnel Traybake
- 250g butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar plus 50g for topping
- 2 large lemons, zested and juiced
- 3 large eggs
- 200g plain flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 100g ground almonds
- 50ml milk
- 100g mixed fruit
- 75g marzipan
- 50g icing sugar
- Oil or butter to grease tin
- Place the marzipan in the fridge to chill.
- Heat the oven to 180°/160° fan or gas mark 4.
- Oil and line a 20cm x 30cm baking tray – you can use a foil one.
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar with most of the lemon zest until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Carefully stir in the flour and baking powder using a metal spoon.
- Carefully stir in the ground almonds, dried fruit and the milk.
- Place half of the mixture in the cake tin and grate the marzipan over the mixture in an even layer.
- Add the rest of the cake mixture and level the top, trying not to disturb the marzipan layer.
- Bake for 35-40 mins until well risen and golden brown and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes after it comes out of the oven and then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Mix the icing sugar with enough of the lemon juice to make a runny icing.
- Mix the remainder of the lemon juice with the 50g of caster sugar and drizzle over the cake.
- Drizzle the white icing over the cake and sprinkle over the remaining lemon zest.
- Cut into 16 slices.