Fancy a tea-time treat? How about these bite-sized Amaretto Almond Biscuits which the Girls Around Town and guest Cathy Bramley enjoyed on the show this morning?
Made by June using the recipe from Cathy’s new book The Lemon Tree Café, they’re easy to prepare, pretty to look at and simply delicious – and they’re gluten-free too…
If you don’t have any Amaretto, you can replace it with milk – or you could just use this as an excuse to go out and buy a bottle!
The paperback edition of The Lemon Tree Café will be published on Thursday 24 August and is available now for pre-order from The Bookcase in Lowdham.
Amaretto Almond Biscuits
Cathy’s Amaretto Almond Biscuits
Makes 25 – Time 20 minutes
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto (or substitute milk if you don’t have Amaretto)
- 150gm ground almonds
- 150gm caster sugar
- 25 whole almonds
- Pre-heat the oven to 2000C (1800C fan oven / gas mark 6 / 4000F). Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Whisk the egg whites until frothy. Very gently, fold in 1/3 each of the ground almonds and sugar. Pour in the Amaretto (or milk), then add the remaining almonds and sugar.
- Take a teaspoon of the mixture and drop it onto the baking tray, using a second teaspoon to push it, leaving at least 3cms between each biscuit. Top each one with an almond.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes – they should be golden brown but still have some ‘give’ as they will crisp up as they cool.
- Leave on the tray to cool and store in an airtight tin.